Why is it important to let babies touch and explore new things?
- All babies are born with curiosity that must be satisfied in order to provoke learning.1
- Unfortunately, too many denial and disapprovals from parents may discourage the curiosity in child to such an extent that his/ her learning may slow down or stop completely.1
- Children use their senses e.g., hearing, seeing, tasting, touching, smelling and moving to collect information about their world.2
- Touch is important for the growth and development of young children.3
- Touch plays a vital role in brain formation.3
Tips to help children touch and explore new things
- Let you baby touch new things to get new learning experiences.1
- Encourage your baby to touch all kinds of textures.2
- Do not stop your child from touching things with the fear of spoiling/ breaking things; instead keep breakable things far from their reach1
Advantages of letting children explore
- Letting the child to explore things and discover things on their own helps in quick learning.1
- Babies who are allowed to explore more things are more knowledgeable about the world and are more enthusiastic to try new experiences.1
- Children restricted to explore new things can lack the desire to learn.1
- Letting children explore and experiment, enhances the possibilities for creative outcomes without the fear of failure.4
- Murphy LB, Leeper EM. The ways children learn. US department of health education and welfare.
- Early Child Development Kit: A Treasure Box of Activities[Internet]. Available from: https://www.unicef.org/earlychildhood/files/Activity_Guide.pdf. Accessed on Feb 8, 2020.
- Barnett L. Keep in touch: The importance of touch in infant development. Infant Observation. 2005;8:115–23.
- Play and the learning environment[Internet]. Available at: https://www.sagepub.com/sites/default/files/upm-binaries/53567_ch_10.pdf. Accessed on Feb 8, 2020.