- There are several types of stories, such as fables, myths and legends. You should choose stories that are relevant to your children.
- You should consider more about children, their interests, their experience and their language level, age, etc.
- It is important to select a story that suits your child’s language level.
- Besides this, you also need to select stories based on their topics, characters and plots.
Benefits of storytelling to kids
- Telling stories is an effective teaching strategy for children.
- Most children enjoy listening to the stories, and they have the power that can bring the children into a world of imagination and draw a colourful picture with many interesting characters in the story.
- Storytelling is one of the most useful technique to attract children in learning process effectively.
- It helps children to discover the experience of real-life and the language learning experience together.
- It is a kind of teaching method that can help children to improve knowledge, literacy, imagination, creation and critical thinking. Therefore, storytelling is considered to be very useful to teach a foreign language to children.
- It helps in promoting expressive language development in oral and written form and present new vocabulary and complex language in a powerful form.
- Storytelling also helps to create constructive and creative comprehension.
- It motivates children to actively participate in the construction of the meaning of the story.
- Thus, storytelling can give the experience of language learning in a fun way.
- Mutiarani, Izzah L. The Power of Storytelling in Teaching English to Young Learners. 1st International Seminar Childhood Care and Education – Aisiyah’s Awareness on Early Childhood and Education, Jakarta-Indonesia, June 11th -12th 2015: 557-70.