Why and how children can easily learn the second language?
- Children have a great ability to absorb.
- Children are capable of learning the language faster, retain it better and most often can speak it with near-native pronunciation.
- They can learn language naturally.
- They can devote almost their full time on learning a new language as they don't have other responsibilities, but their only job is to learn and study.
- Children have intense motivation.
- It is observed that children have a physically powerful individual need to learn if they are surrounded by people speaking the second language.
- At a young age, the brain is more adaptable, and children can learn new languages without self-consciousness.
- They have fewer negative attitudes towards other languages and cultures compared to adults.
Benefits of learning other languages apart from English
- Learning the language early in life helps children speak correct and fluently, making them have a better chance to speak proficiency.
- Learning a new language is found to be associated with improved ability to communicate, better cognitive development, richer cultural awareness and better job opportunities in future.
- Learning new languages at an early age helps children to understand different cultures so that they grow up broadminded and sympathetic to others.
- Ghasemi B, Hashemi M. Foreign language learning during childhood. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2011;28:872-6.
- Violetta-Irene K. Young Learners: How advantageous is the early start? IOSR-JHSS. 2013;15(5):27-37.